International pilot information

If you are a non-US pilot that intends to visit the US to fly, please review this information and come prepared.

Note that if you will be flying over more than a 10-day span, you will need to send your paperwork to the office in advance of your trip. Details in the Membership FAQs.

Flying in the US

In order to fly regulated sites in the US, you will need to be a USHPA member (10-Day or Pilot) and you will be required to hold whatever rating/skill level is required for that particular site (either via your home country rating card plus an IPPI card, or an active USHPA rating). A membership with USHPA will provide you with third-party liability insurance, which is required by most landowners in the US. An annual Pilot membership will also allow you to obtain US proficiency ratings. See below for more information on membership options and ratings.

Please contact local pilots for information and protocol for each site that you will fly. A good place to start is with a local club (USHPA chapter) or school/instructor  who can provide you with local information. You may also want to request information via online discussion forums, such as and

Membership options

Depending on how long you intend to fly in in the US, you may want an annual Pilot membership, or you may only need a 10-day Affiliate membership. Information about the various membership options is described in Membership levels, benefits, and pricing and also in the Membership FAQ.

To join USHPA with an annual Pilot membership, go to Join + Renew.

Ratings (flight proficiency)

Instructors/Observers may issue a visiting pilot a foreign-equivalent USHPA rating using a combination of his/her country’s rating system, observing flying skills, and administering appropriate tests. The visiting pilot must be a USHPA Pilot member to hold a USHPA rating.

The USHPA pilot proficiency system is described in Ratings and skills introduction. The full parameters around issuing USHPA ratings based on foreign equivalent ratings are governed by SOP-12, Foreign Ratings.

Visiting Pilots who obtain an Affiliate USHPA membership (via a 10-day Affiliate membership application), or a Pilot membership without USHPA ratings, must carry both their homeland rating documentation AND an IPPI card issued from your homeland.