The U.S. Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, a membership-based non-profit organization, promotes the safe enjoyment of hang gliding and paragliding. Toward that end, the association publishes a monthly magazine, Hang Gliding & Paragliding, that includes news and information about the association and its activities, as well as entertaining features on all aspects of free flight.
To ensure the best selection of quality material for the magazine, while also protecting the organization's interests and professional standards, the USHPA publications management team allows contributors to write under pen names with the following restrictions. This policy applies to all USHPA publications, including the magazine, this web site, and any other forms of publication that might be offered now or in the future.
- All items sent for use in the news and information sections of the publications must be submitted and published under the author's true, legal name.
- All product-related items (i.e. gear reviews, new equipment announcements, etc.) must be submitted and published under the author's true, legal name.
- Any feature story that includes direct references to the author's pilot rating and/or special skills (as defined by the USHPA) or which contains material which call into question the author's skills and/or ratings, must be submitted and published under the author's true name.
- Any feature story that includes direct references to a third party pilot and their ratings and/or specials skills (as defined by the USHPA), must include the true name of the third party pilot. If the individual(s) described do not wish to have their names included, they may appeal to the editor for the use of a pseudonym. That appeal will be granted if:
a) The name and current rating/standing of the pilot is not an integral part of the main story line.
b) The story is primarily a "flying adventure"-style feature written for entertainment purposes rather than for skills building or to cover the technical aspects of flying.
c) The pilot's pseudonym is used consistently for all such applications.
- Pen names may be used by authors for feature stories which focus on the joys and experiences of flight rather than technical details of the sports, provided: a) An author uses a single pen name for all qualifying materials submitted to USHPA publications (and the author's real name is used on materials that do not qualify for pen name use); b) The editorial task force is aware of the author's true name and pilot ranking; c) The story does not include material that may bring into question the author's rating or skill level, especially regarding tandem flights.
- The editorial task force is under no obligation to guarantee the secrecy of an author's real name if a pen name is used, but the members of the ETF will not readily volunteer the information.
Questions should be directed to email@example.com.