1. To be eligible for assistance from the AAF,
the individual must be a current USHPA member in good standing at the
time of the accident.
2. The accident must have occurred during
an officially recognized hang gliding or paragliding activity, such as
training, recreational flying, or competition.
3. If the accident
happened at a USHPA chapter site the individual must have been a member
of the chapter, or had prior permission to fly the site pursuant to the
rules of such chapter.
4. The applicant must provide proof of
the accident by reporting the accident through USHPA’s Preliminary
Incident Report system and, as may be requested, provide documentation
of expenses, subject to HIPAA restrictions, from the treating medical
5. The applicant must have exhausted all other
available resources for financial assistance, including insurance
coverage, before seeking help from the AAF.
Directors, and staff of USHPA are not eligible for assistance from the
AAF. This restriction is to avoid any inurement and private benefit of
an individual with significant influence over USHPA which is prohibited
for 501(c)(3) organizations.
apply for assistance, the member or their representative must submit a
completed Accident Assistance Fund Application Form to the USHPA office
within 120 days of the accident.
2. The application form must
include a detailed description of the accident, medical or other
expenses seeking AAF assistance with, and any other relevant
3. The USHPA office will review the application and may request additional documentation or clarification if necessary.
The USHPA office will forward the completed application to the AAF
allocations committee (the “Allocations Committee”) for evaluation.
Review and Approval Process
The Allocations Committee will evaluate the application based on the
eligibility criteria and the availability of funds and will have
discretion with respect to any assistance.
2. The Allocations
Committee may approve full or partial assistance depending on the
severity of the accident, the financial need of the applicant, and the
availability of funds. The Allocations Committee may also implement caps
from time to time depending on the availability of funds.
3. The Allocations Committee anticipates making decisions within 30
days of receiving the completed application but may take longer.
4. The USHPA office will notify the applicant of the Allocations Committee’s decision in writing.
Disbursement of Funds
1. Upon approval of the application, the USHPA office will disburse the approved funds.
2. The disbursement of funds will be made within 30 days of the Allocations Committee’s decision.
1. The AAF will be managed by the USHPA, and all contributions will be dedicated solely for the purpose of the fund.
2. USHPA will actively seek donations and contributions to the AAF to ensure its continued operation.
3. USHPA will provide an annual report detailing the activities and financial status of the AAF.
1. This policy may be amended by a majority vote of the USHPA Board of Directors.
Interested in Donating?
Donate to the AAF here!
Remember, your donations will be matched by Charles Allen and Faiz Kayyem up to $5,000 each for a total of $10,000 in 2023.